Thursday 2 February 2012

Dialogue



Dialogue 1

TUTOR: Are you interested in how people interpret your work?

STUDENT: Yes.

TUTOR: A lot?

STUDENT: Well I don’t go out looking for comments if that’s what you mean.

TUTOR: So you’re happy for people to interpret your work as they like?

STUDENT: Yes - I’m not interested in forcing my ideas on anybody.

TUTOR: What if someone was offended by something you'd made?

STUDENT: I’m not aiming to offend.

TUTOR: Okay, but what if lots of people were offended?

STUDENT: Then I suppose I’d have to listen to their reasons and decide if they were justified.

TUTOR: Who is your work aimed at then?

STUDENT: Anyone that’s interested.

TUTOR: What if nobody was interested – would you continue?

STUDENT: Yes, I think so.

TUTOR: And who would your work be for in that case?

STUDENT: Me, I guess.

TUTOR: So who is your work for then?

STUDENT: Probably me in the first instance and then anybody that’s interested.


Dialogue 2

TUTOR: Are you interested in how people interpret your work?

STUDENT: Not especially – I don’t really make work to find out what other people think, I make it to find out what I think.

TUTOR: And what if someone took offence at your work?

STUDENT: Well that’s up to them. I’m certainly not aiming to offend anyone.

TUTOR: And what if lots of people were offended?

STUDENT: Then I’d be interested to hear their reasons.

TUTOR: And if they had good reasons, would you consider changing your work?

STUDENT: I’m not sure… probably.

TUTOR: So you’d change your work then?

STUDENT: Probably.

TUTOR: So you are interested in how people interpret your work?

STUDENT: No. What other people think may influence me but, like I said, I make work to explore what I think, not what other people think.


Dialogue 3

TUTOR: Are you interested in how people interpret your work?

STUDENT: To a degree, yes. But I don't actively seek it.

TUTOR: Why not?

STUDENT: I don't think it's really a priority for me.

TUTOR: So what is your priority?

STUDENT: Perhaps it sounds self-centred to say so but I think I'm more interested in exploring my own thoughts rather than seeking other people's.

TUTOR: So you’re happy for people to interpret your work as they like?

STUDENT: Pretty well, yes.

TUTOR: But what if they were offended?

STUDENT: I’m not interested in offending anybody.

TUTOR: But what if it turned out that lots of people were offended?

STUDENT: Then I’d be interested to hear their reasons.

TUTOR: And if they had good reasons, would you consider changing your work?

STUDENT: Probably. I guess if their reasons were good ones then my own interpretation would change too and I’d want my work to reflect that change.

TUTOR: So you’d change your work then?

STUDENT: Probably. It wouldn’t make sense to me to show work that reflected ideas that I no longer stand by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment